Turning 70 1/2 this year? You may face a number of special tax issues.


If you are turning 70 1/2 this year, you may face a number of special tax issues. Not addressing these issues properly could result in significant penalties and filing hassles.

Traditional IRA Contributions

2015_03_25 are you turning 70 1-2, required minimum distributionYou cannot make a traditional IRA contribution in the year you reach the age of 70 1/2. Contributions made in the year you are turning 70 1/2 (and from then on) are treated as an excess contribution. These are subject to a nondeductible 6% excise tax penalty for every year in which the excess contribution remains in the account. The penalty, which cannot exceed the value of the IRA account, is calculated on the excess contributed and on any interest it may have earned.

You can avoid the penalty. How? By removing the excess and the interest earned on the excess from the IRA prior to April 15 of the subsequent year. Also, including the interest earned on the excess in your taxable income.

Even though you can no longer make contributions to a traditional IRA in the year you are turning 70 1/2, you can continue to make contributions to a Roth IRA. The contribution is not to exceed the annual IRA contribution limits. This is provided you still have earned income, such as wages or self-employment income, at least equal to the amount of the contribution.

If you are married to a non-working or low-earning spouse who has not yet reached age 70 1/2 and you have earned income, your earnings can still be used to qualify your spouse for a contribution to a spousal IRA. Even if you are turning 70 1/2 or older and can’t contribute to your traditional IRA, the spousal IRA would still qualify.

Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs)

Let’s face it, you have to start taking your deductions sometime. You must begin taking required minimum distributions from your qualified retirement plans and IRA accounts in the year you turn 70 1/2. The distribution for the year in which you turned 70 1/2 can be delayed to the subsequent year without penalty if the distribution is made by April 1 of the subsequent year. That means two distributions must be made in the subsequent year: the delayed distribution and the distribution for that year. In the following years, your annual RMD must be taken by December 31 of each year.

Still Working Exception

If you participate in a qualified employer plan, generally you need to start taking required minimum distributions (RMDs) by April 1 of the year following the year you turn 70 1/2. This is your required beginning date (RBD) for retirement distributions. However, if your plan includes the still working exception, your RBD is postponed to April 1 of the year following the year you retire.

Example: You are turning 70 1/2 in 2015, but you chose to continue working; you did not retire until June of 2017. Provided your employer’s plan includes the option, you can make the “still working election” and delay your RBD until no later than April 1, 2018.

Caution: This exception does not apply to an employee who owns more than 5% of the company. There is no “still working exception” for IRAs, Simple IRAs, or SEP IRAs.

Excess Accumulation Penalty

When you fail to take an required minimum deduction, you are subject to a draconian penalty called the excess accumulation penalty. This penalty is a 50% excise tax of the amount (RMD) that should have been distributed for the year.

Example: Your required minimum deduction for the year is $35,000. You only take $10,000. Your excess accumulation penalty for failing to take the full amount of the distribution for the year would be $12,500 (50% of $25,000).

The IRS will generally waive the penalty for non-willful failures to take your required minimum deduction, provided you have a valid excuse and the under-distribution is corrected.

Turning 70 1/2 Can Be Complicated

As you can see, turning 70 1/2 can complicate your tax situation. If you need assistance with any of the issues discussed here, or need assistance computing your required minimum distribution for the year, please give our office a call at 781-849-7200.

Maybe you know someone who can benefit from this information, feel free to share:
Linkedin - Joseph Cahill / WorthTaxTwitter - Joseph Cahill / WorthTax / WorthTaxPrepFacebook - Joseph Cahill / WorthTaxGoogle+ - Joseph Cahill / WorthTaxalignable_logo - Joseph Cahill / WorthTax



For more information, call Alex Franch at 781.789.7200. WorthTax has locations in Norwell, Dedham, and Weymouth, Massachussetts.
Alex Franch

Mr. Franch is a Tax Specialist and Partner at Joseph Cahill & Associates / WorthTax. He has a diverse background including a Bachelor of Science from Boston College in Mathematics and extensive military service. Mr. Franch is an Enrolled Agent and has eight years of tax preparation experience. He has been serving individuals, families, and businesses for several years with tax and financial planning strategies and is a junior partner with the firm. Mr. Franch is licensed by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) with a Series 6, 63, 65, and 7, and by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Insurance.

Leave a Comment