Address Change? Let the IRS Know!


address change, change of addressHave you changed your address lately? You may want to keep these things in mind to make sure you receive your refunds or information from the IRS. This is true for your home or business address.

Here are 11 ways to change your address on file with the IRS.

  1. Write the new address in the correct boxes on your tax return.
  2. Inform your employer of your new address, this will ensure that you get your W-2 forms on time.
  3. Send the IRS your new address in writing when you file your return. Include your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number and your signature. If you filed a joint return, make sure you include the both taxpayers information. If since filing, you and your spouse or partner have moved to separate address, both of you should notify the IRS of your new information.
  4. Use a Change of Address Form, Form 8822, to submit a name or address change. You can do this any time.
  5. Should an IRS employee contact you about your account for another reason, they will do so in writing and will provide phone number to call. You may be able to verbally provide a change of address by phone while handling that other business.
  6. Notify the post office of your address change. This will help you if you changed your address after you filed your return. Your mail can be forwarded. This is especially true if you file quarterly estimated payments.
  7. You can find the address of the IRS center where you file your tax return or download Form 8822 and Change of Address information. The form is also available by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
  8. Complete your change of address online. If for some reason you think your check was returned to the IRS, you can access  Where’s My Refund? on the IRS website. You will be required to provide your social security number, filing status, and the amount of your refund. For more information, read Understanding your CP31 Notice.
  9. The IRS does use the Postal Service’s change of address files to update taxpayer addresses, but it is still wise to notify the IRS directly.
  10. If you use the mailing label that comes with your tax package, make sure the correction of the address is readable.
  11. Taxpayers who make estimated payments throughout the year should mail a completed Form 8822, Change of Address, or write the IRS center where you file your return. You may continue to use your old pre-printed payment vouchers until the IRS sends you new ones with your new address. However, do not correct the address on the old voucher.

Address Change or Other Tax Information

Alex Franch, can give you excellent advise on address changes and other important tax topics. Worthtax will prepare the notices needed for the Internal Revenue Service and your state tax information. You can reach Alex at 781.849.7200. In addition to our guaranteed pricing, we are giving $50 American Express gift cards to any new clients who have their taxes completed and filed by WorthTax. Worthtax provides ultra-convenient service and triple check accuracy. We have locations in Quincy, Weymouth and Dedham.

For more information, call Alex Franch at 781.789.7200. WorthTax has locations in Norwell, Dedham, and Weymouth, Massachussetts.
Alex Franch

Mr. Franch is a Tax Specialist and Partner at Joseph Cahill & Associates / WorthTax. He has a diverse background including a Bachelor of Science from Boston College in Mathematics and extensive military service. Mr. Franch is an Enrolled Agent and has eight years of tax preparation experience. He has been serving individuals, families, and businesses for several years with tax and financial planning strategies and is a junior partner with the firm. Mr. Franch is licensed by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) with a Series 6, 63, 65, and 7, and by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Insurance.

Leave a Comment