Are you ready for your mid-year tax check up? No, we are not talking about at your doctor’s office. We are talking about at your tax preparer’s office. You would think July would give you some vacation time from tax deadlines. These tax due dates are fast approaching for July.
Summer vacation is here! There is a tax break that working parents should know about. Many working parents must arrange for care of their children under 13 years of age during the school vacation periods. If the child is handicapped, then it is for any age. A popular solution that comes with a tax benefit is a day camp program. The cost of day camp can count as an expense toward the child and dependent care credit. But be careful, expenses for overnight camps do not qualify.
Congress created Achieving Better Life Experience (ABLE) accounts in 2014. Before ABLE accounts existed, individuals with disabilities who were eligible for Medicaid or federal Supplemental Security Income were limited to a maximum of $2,000 in assets. These assets included bank savings accounts. There is good news for the disabled. Now that has all changed.
Free solar panels, the TV ads say. Earn solar panels tax credits from the IRS, they tell you! When you see these ads that allow you to generate your own home solar power, are you impressed? Is Uncle Sam going to pick up 30% of your cost, like they promise? Is it true you only have to come up with the other 70%? Well, that is not necessarily the whole picture.